Thursday, December 23, 2004

A Christmas long ago 12-23-04

One Christmas I came out to open presents and there was only one for me. It was a toy chest and I was just devastated. I didn't want a stupid toy chest. I ran to my room crying. I can just barely remember the smile and glimmer in my parents eyes, as they tried to hold back their amusement. They finally calmed me down and talked me into coming out and seeing my toy box.
When I finally opened it, and it was a very large box, a bench seat that opened up, it was filled to the top with more presents. Maybe 30 gifts. I remember so few things from my childhood, but that day, that moment I will always remember. I had been so upset, for no good reason.
I later found out my mom had sanded and shellacked the box. I wondered why her hands had blisters on them. It was the first big hit to my selfishness, and touched me in a unique way, that someone would blister their hands for me.