Wednesday, January 05, 2005

January 5 2005

This is the time of year when health clubs are packed. Commitments to better health, better life, more money, less stress have already started to be tested. Many of us make New Years resolutions but soon find them dusty and forgotten. We had the best of intentions, what happened?
I have a few theories.
Some people keep their resolutions private, avoiding the pressures of accountability and the impending failure they obvioulsy fear.
Some people make unrealistic resoultions, hoping to make everything better in one big swoop.
Sometimes westart strong but soon find ourselves tested and giving in to the temptation.

SO maybe to be successful we could try this.
Share your commitments with everyone you know will support and encourage you. Find someone because doing it alone is so much harder. Ask to be held accountable. Being held accountable is just somone asking you how your goal is going on a regular basis.

Be very purposeful about your goals. Be specific on what you are going to do by when, and how this will benefit you. Be reasonable too. You can't fix everything. Set big goals but reachable, and have a plan to get from step to step. I relly focus on this one. I really dig deep to find out why this goal is imprtant to me. When I set a goal, I ask myself, "i am doing this so that...".

And when things get hard, which they always do once the initial excitement has faded, how do I keep going. I have someone keeping me accountable, I know exactly what I need to do, when I need to do it, and why I am doing it. And I remember that this is a commitment, NO MATTER WHAT, I will keep going. If I mess up or miss, or go astray. I just get back on track.

It's not easy, but it's worth it.

This year I am going to start a cookie business. By January 28th I will have a website set up. I am doing this because I love cookies. I think they make people happy, and I want everyone I know to be happy. Happy people pay money for cookies ;) Will you hold me accountable?