Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Finding Value

At some point in life or over time, we come to believe we are not responsible for life, that it just happens to us and our best efforts are used reacting to the twists and turns life throws at us. But what if? What if we chose to take responsibility for every aspect of our life. How much more powerful would you feel if you chose the challenges of your day?

Here are some ideas along those lines.

When bad things happen
Find the value in them. Every experience in life has something to offer. How about an example. Car troubles. I hate car troubles. So let's say my car breaks down on the way to work. Now I'm late, annoyed, thinking of the costs already, the hassle, the annoyance. My day is blown for sure. Unless. If I chose to, I could see this as an opportunity to grow and learn. I could focus on the best techniques for maintaining my car. Learning through study and questions the most effective ways of preserving the life of my car.

I also am thankful that I have the opportunity to breakdown on my way to work. Plenty of people don't even have that possibility. I own a car, make a decent living. I can be proud and thankful for that.

I can learn to be better prepared when there is a breakdown. Having necessary phone numbers on hand for a trusted mechanic, service station, tow truck, etc.

I can have a goal to set aside money from every paycheck to help with emergency situations like these. Maybe have one credit card that is used only for auto issues.


Another way to take responsibility and improve the quality of life:
Relationships- We take things personally. We perceive some injury, real or imagined, and go on the defensive attack. We avoid taking responsibility because being wrong might say something about our self worth. Imagine the relationships that would be saved/healed/transformed if each person took responsibility for their own self, and the way they impact others.

The theory I try to work by is...assume responsibility. It is pride swallowing, soul drenching work to take resposnsibility especially when everything in me screams defend and assures me I am right and the other person is wrong. But when I take responsibility, I win. I benefit, I grow, and the conflict has a greater chance at resolution.

I learned this lesson first and best with my parents. As a teen I would argue, strive to be right and win. One day after successive loses on the parent teen battlefield, I considered a new strategy. Losing. Yep. If I agree, don't argue, take responsibility, apologize, all the sudden I wasn't fighting with my parents. We were talking, resolving things, and pretty soon my parents respected and trusted me enough that I gained more freedoms and opportunities than ever before. And more importantly, much less conflict with my parents.

Taking responsibility in relationships and finding value in difficulty is not easy. But it is worth it. You will find a new value in yourself, in others, and in life. If you are unsatisfied with life as it is, do something different. Take responsibility, is if you were the one in charge of your life.